Friday, January 30, 2009

Volcano

I have spent most of the day today calling around to pharmacies to find masks that we will have to wear if and that is a BIG IF - Mt. Redoubt erupts. The damn volcano has been on code Orange since Sunday so who knows when it will blow. My mom called me today and said that I needed to get my emergency kit in order if the volcano blows.

We have an emergency kit for the BIG earthquakes that I put together 4 years ago - I will just need to add some items.
THis is what is suggested to be in your emergency kit

In my kit are the following items: I think it is pretty good

Clothing for myself, husband and Quentin (although they probably don't fit the child since it was put together when he was an infant LOL)
Cash
Bottled water (does this go bad or have an expiration date?)
Formula (this for sure has expired and we don't need it)
Food - mostly canned and dehydrated
can opener
diapers
First Aide Kit
Battery Operated Radio (although I am not sure if the batteries are still good)
Copies of my id and husband's id along with a copy of Quentin's birth certificate (in case they have to identify us)
flash light
candles (I didn't see any matches though- LOL)
blankets

SOOOO when I took the inventory earlier this week I came to the conclusion that I should probably update this stupid thing once a year. I put it together because my mom was insistent on it, especially when Quentin was born. Although my thought hasn't changed, if there is a big earthquake - will I even be able to get to the damn kit? Same thing with this volcano if it blows who is to say I will be at home to access the freaking air masks that we will need to put on. I guess I will need to get several masks and just carry them with me.

I will be updating my kit this weekend! Hopefully that will make my mom happy!

1 comment:

  1. We had a kit, that I have now disassembled. The water does expire (I used it on my plants). The oatmeal, granola bars and canned food I had in it expired too. You can buy food and water from the red cross that has a longer shelf life. Now you have reminded me that I should get my kit together again.

    ReplyDelete