Thursday, April 2, 2009

Convicts and Coughs and Crying...OH MY

What an eventful evening I had last night. I had planned on going home and making breakfast for dinner, since it was Scrambled April Fun Day on Sprout, I thought I would follow their lead! We got home and I ran to Fred Meyer to pick up a couple things as well as Adrianna's prescription (see previous post). When I got to Fred's the line for the pharmacy was super long, not a big deal I thought I will go and get my grocery items and then the line will have gone down. I was wrong...the line was even longer by the time that I had checked out with my groceries.

I took my place and line and began the LONG wait, when it was finally my turn I had been in line for 40 minutes. Apparently they are upgrading the computer system which is supposed to speed things up, UM I don't think that the upgrade worked - so the girl asks me the patients last name, I say "Chavez - and spelled it" the girl types it into the computer and then just stared at her screen (never a good sign). She them asks me (still looking at her screen) "UM was it called in today?" I responded "Yes, this morning around 9:30AM" (please note that the time is now 7PM plenty of time for the RX to be filled) she then says "we don't have it" My fuse was already pretty close to the end after standing in line for 40 minutes. So I asked the girl to please check again, she says she is going to check another area. I immediately get on the phone to Joe, "where did you have them send the RX?" he says Fred Meyer - OK I hung up on him. I called Latouche which is supposed to be open until 8PM - I got the voice message that says "If you have reached this recording our office is closed" WHAT THE HELL??????
The girl comes back and says they don't have it and have not received anything. Profanity flew out of my mouth - I apologized to the girl and said it wasn't directed to her, said Thank you and off I went.

I get home to make breakfast for dinner and am LIVID, Adrianna is crying because she 1) doesn't feel good and 2) she heard my voice and knows I am home and wants me.
I pick her up and she is BURNING UP - I strip her down to her diaper only change her and take her temp 104.3 - HOLY COW - now not only am I mad I need to figure out what to do about this fever. I call the nurse line (which by the way is located at Sacred Heart Hospital in Spokane, WA) leave my information and wait for the nurse to call me back. I get Quentin his waffle, strawberries, sausage and orange juice. Joe is also eating at this time and I am feeding Adrianna.
8:18 PM the caller id says Sacred Heart, I answer it was Joyce, she starts asking me all these questions you know typical, how much does Adri weigh, is she on any medication - my answer to this was very rude (again not towards Joyce) "Well she should be on Amoxicillian, but the NP didn't call it in" Joyce responds with "what?" I tell her the whole saga - she keeps saying "OH MY GOSH, I can't believe that" then she says she is going to call the doctor who is on call, Dr. Tappel, and then she will call me back.

9:00 PM the caller id says Latouche Pediatrics - I say "Hello" it was Dr. Tappel, he says that he isn't sure why Fred Meyer didn't have the script because he could see it was sent, my response "HMMM" then he asks if we were at home. Yes Ding dong you called my home number, that was just my thought. He asks if it is possible that we come to the ER and pick up the RX, that would be fine we only live 5 minutes away. He said to hold tight and that he would call me back.

9:15 PM the caller id says UNKNOWN - "Hello" the voice on the other end says "This is Bruce calling from Providence ER?" I say "yes Bruce?" he explains to me that Dr. Tappel has a prescription for Adrianna and that the admissions tech needs to take some information from me, hands the phone to the lady who takes my information. I verify that the patient is Adrianna Norma Chavez and she is my daughter. Bruce gets back on the phone and gives me the phone he has with him and tells me to call him when I get to the ER - he also said he would call me when the RX was ready for pick up. I asked if I needed to bring Adri with me, he said yes.

9:30PM the caller id says UNKNOWN - "hello" - "Hi Mrs. Chavez it is Bruce, you all can head on over, you still have my number?" I tell him yes and we would see him in a few minutes.

9:35PM we arrive at the ER - I call Bruce and let him know I was walking in, he meets me at the door and says "I called you too early, the RX is not ready yet, sorry" no problem I can just hang out - "how long do you think it will be" I asked. His response "well it shouldn't be long"

10:00PM - Still waiting
10:20PM - Still waiting - Bruce comes out and says it won't be much longer (UM IS THAT ER TIME OR NORMAL TIME? LOL)
11:00PM - Still waiting - by this time I was being amused by all the nut jobs that had appeared in the ER! Adrianna slept through the whole thing (THANK GOD)!!!
The police brought in a couple people - the one officer sat his convict right next to me - HELLO WHAT THE HELL? I just looked at the officer like - move this dude, I have a baby here! He must have gotten the drift because he moved the guy - who then glared at me the whole time and growled a couple of times.
Then there was the lady who came in holding her croch yelling "I HAVE A BLADDER INFECTION AND CAN'T STAND IT" I could not help laughing out loud at that one.
11:15PM - Still waiting - update from Bruce - Dr. Tappel will not need to see Adri and the medication was almost ready. I thought I brought my baby to the damn germ factory and no one is even going to look at her? WHAT THE HELL?????!!!!!
The couple sitting across the lobby had a toddler who was coughing like crazy - and then the girl in triage who had a 4 year old who was screaming because she didn't want her temp taken - the mom said that either she takes it in the mouth or the bum bum. What the hell is a bum bum?
11:40PM - BRUCE APPEARS WITH MY RX!!!!!! We are out of the nut house!! I tell him thank you for the efforts and off we go.
In the car I call Joe and tell him we are the way home - at that point I realized from my growling tummy I never ate dinner. We got home and Adri woke up as I was taking her out of the car seat, I gave her a dose of her medicine, changed her diaper and off to bed we went.

1 comment:

  1. I think I would be crying by the end of it. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete