Friday, March 6, 2009

A Growing Family

My immediate family has always been very close - we consist of my mom, myself and my brother, Ryan. I consider Ryan one of my very best friends. Growing up in a single family home we had very little contact with our father (Rick) - totally his choice, we did however have great contact with our Aunts, my dad's sisters. When I was in college at St. Martin's I was able to become very close to my cousins who lived in Olympia. Through this relationship with my cousins I learned that Ryan and I have a 1/2 sister. My cousin, Regon, didn't know much about her except that she lived in Walla Walla and her name was Brittney. Ryan and I thought this was pretty cool - and asked Rick on many occasions for her information, we were ignored. Our Aunts, Rick's sisters also would avoid the question - this always seemed very strange to me but whatever. I tried to google her name but nothing ever came up - I would try every now and then but didn't really activley pursue it.
So fast forward 14 years, I am on maternity leave and Ryan calls to tell me that Brittney emailed him, I was totally excited what are the odds that she would find us - Ryan gave her his contact information as well as mine, apparently she contacted Ryan through MySpace. So we didn't hear back from her for about a month, and then she called Ryan - they had a nice chat he then said that she was going to call me, and that I really needed to have an open mind when she called. I said well of course I would why would he tell me this? Apparently Brittney and Rick have had a good relationship her entire life - WTH - this really pissed me off and then Ryan says that she got our contact information from Rick - double WTH now I was pissed and insulted. When Brittney called I ignored her call.
Last week she emailed me and wanted to make sure that she had not upset Ryan or I for contacting us and that she really wants to get to know us. After thinking for a bit and realizing that I didn't have so many raging hormones anymore I responded back to her - and told her my feelings and that I would like to get to know her too. How cool I am a BIG Sister - of course I have always been the Big Sister but now it feels fresh again.

Around the sametime that Brittney found Ryan and I - my Uncle's daughter found him. Long story short my uncle and his girlfriend in college gave up a baby - fast forward 32 years - my uncle and his girlfriend (now wife, my aunt) are still married and thier daughter found them and wants to meet them. HOW EXCITING! The strange thing is that Heather is 32 she was born in October 1976 - I was born in August 1976 - her adoptive parents lived on the same side of town as my family and went to the same catholic church that my family went to - our families probably gave each other the sign of peace and didn't even know it. Anywho my uncle and family moved to Washington - they are coming up this summer to meet Heather and her family - then we will have a family BBQ - for those who know my crazy extended family it will be overwhelming I am sure for Heather but we are all excited to meet her and welcome her into our family!

The fact that Heather's adoptive family and her birth family were in the same area shows what a small world we truly live in.

No comments:

Post a Comment