Friday, February 13, 2009

February 13, 2001










Eight years ago today I woke up in Hawaii on my wedding day!!! Those that know the background know that this was an especially Special day. Like any bride I had the normal jitters, I had my mom with me and my friend Kathryn who lives in Hawaii helped out with the preperation for our day!

The morning started with breakfast in the hotel room - Joe, his sister and best man were getting ready somewhere else. Mom and I got our hair done at the salon in the hotel and then it was back to the room to get dressed, we only had 30 minutes before the Limo picked us all up to take us to the location where we would exchange our vows.

Once back in the room I did my makeup while mom got dressed, it was muggy that morning so we had the curtains and deck door open to get some air moving through the room. Mom was dressed and I finished putting on my face - it was time to get into my dress! By this time Joe's sister had come down and was taking pictures of me getting ready - what fun! So without divulging too much info there I was standing in my underware, bra, and panty hose - I am facing the window getting ready to pour into my dress and notice that on the deck at the hotel across from ours is an old man with binoculors totally watching us get dressed - I totally started laughing and finished getting dressed. Once everything was in place - I looked outside again and now the old man is clapping and giving me the thumbs up - I guess he approved!!

In the elevator on the way down to the lobby to see my groom for the first time, I totally lost it, it had been a very emotional time leading up to this day, at that moment I guess everything hit me that this was FINALLY REALLY happening! The elevator door opened and I walked out into the lobby, the other guests at the hotel clapped it made me feel really good and embarrassed at the same time that all these people were looking at me!!!!

When I saw Joe he looked very handsome standing in his black suit and sunglasses - he just smiled and looked at me the sameway he did the night we met! He was sitting with our witness, Matt - who looked like a semi had run him over, wrinkled shirt, van tennis shoes with his slacks and to this day I still am not sure that he combed his hair that morning - I really didn't notice until I was looking at pictures.

Into the Limo and off the wedding site, we arrived and Roger our wedding planner was at waiting with the officiant. It was sprinkling a little bit which bummed me out, my friend Kathryn was also at the park waiting for us, she had arranged for our flowers - a beautiful purple orchid lei for Joe and myself as well as a crown of tropical flowers for me, I didn't have a veil.


Kathryn assured me that in Hawaii when it rains on your wedding day - it is considered a blessing. After the first photo was taken, it stopped raining and the sun came out!! After a few pictures it was time to start the ceremony.

We exchanged our vows with the ocean waves crashing to our back, it really was beautiful and perfect! The minister had asked that we all bow our heads for the final prayer, (keep in mind we were at a public park) all of a sudden during our prayer - I hear Joe and Matt giggling I open my eyes - a bum had totally pushed his way through my ceremony and was getting a drink of water, of all the areas in this huge park he had to choose the water spicket where I was getting married. I couldn't help it and totally started laughing.
At 11:15 AM we were officially pronounced Mr. and Mrs. Joe Chavez!!!!!!

After a few more pictures it was time for the luncheon - we only had 6 people so we did not need a huge reception. It was off to the Sheraton where my mom had arranged a beautiful private room for our luncheon. Again entering the lobby there were cheers and clapping, I felt like a rock star! We had a wonderful lunch and were surprised because mom and Kathryn had arranged for a cake and champange.

After the luncheon Joe and walked back to our hotel, that was only a couple blocks away. Walking hand in hand down the street - people were honking and waving it was really a great feeling!

Although it wasn't the traditional church wedding and reception that had previously been planned, we only had 6 guests, I couldn't have asked for anything more. Everything was beautiful and perfect. I can't believe that 8 years have passed already - we have grown together as a couple and have two beautiful children! I look forward to many more years with Joe!

Happy Anniversary, I love you!

1 comment: