Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Near Death Experience - At least the EMT's were cute!

Friday July 3 was not an ordinary day at our house, I had the day off from work becasue of the holiday the next day, I got up and went to Weight Watchers then to Starbucks with my friend and fellow WWer Emily.

Went home and decided that I would clean the house so that I could get it done and play the rest of the weekend!

Nothing unusual about this, I cleaned the downstairs did a couple loads of laundry and made breakfast - as I was getting ready to clean the downstairs bathroom and then make lunch for the kids I took a little break and sat on the couch for a minute, Joe had on Cake Boss so I took my break and watched a little bit. My right ankle was itching so I reached down to scratch it and all of a sudden my leg was bleeding, I am not talking a little blood I am talking spraying blood, like when you put a pin hole in a water balloon and there is the constant spray - THAT IS WHAT MY ANKLE WAS DOING!!

So I put my hand over the spray and told Joe, "get me something I need help" he looks over and FREAKS OUT, I mean FREAKS OUT....he runs to the kitchen to grab a towel and starts looking for the "cleaning rags" in the meantime my hand is not able to catch the streams of blood and there is now a puddle of blood on my carpet *few choice words from me about the carpet* and telling Joe to just bring me something.....he brought me a dishtowel - I apply pressure on the area it is still spraying it is now soaking through the dishtowel - I tell him I need another one, in the meantime Joe still FREAKING out grabs me another towel and then starts running from the living room to the kitchen (with his cell phone in his hand) saying "OH MY GOD, BABE ARE YOU ALRIGHT, OH MY GOD, WHERE IS THE PHONE" he did about 4 good laps before I said "Joe the phone is on the counter in the kitchen (where it always is) and you have your cell phone in your hand" He said "OH" and then grabs the phone and calls my mom - "TERRY YOUR DAUGHTER IS BLEEDING I MEAN REALLY BAD, WHAT SHOULD I DO, TERRY SHE IS REALLY BLEEDING....OK YES, OK YES, BYE"

He then says "I AM CALLING 911" I looked at him and said OK, meanwhile I am onto my 3rd dishtowel and have to go to the bathroom - I hop into the bathroom where I take the towel off the spray and not such a good idea - my bathroom looked like a crime scene - puddles of blood on the floor - which I was fine with since it wasn't my carpet.

Joe is on the phone with 911 the man is still FREAKING OUT...I am calm as can be -
"911 IS NOT ANSWERING WHAT THE HELL?" "YES HELLO - MY WIFE SHE IS BLEEDING AND IT WON'T STOP, OK HER NAME IS HOPE UM HOLD ON" he comes over to me I am looking at him "HOPE ARE YOU CONCIOUS?" which makes me CRACK UP! Joe to operator "YES SHE IS CONCIOUS - UM HOPE YOU DON'T TAKE BLOOD THINNERS DO YOU?"
me to Joe, "NO" this is through my laughing.
Joe to operator "OK YES, GIVES OUR PHONE NUMBER AND ADDRESS - YES, OK YES, OK THANK YOU" he hangs up and tells me that the EMTs are on the way my thought is YES I hope they are cute!!! He then calls my mom "TERRY THE EMTS ARE ON THE WAY - YOU SHOULD COME OVER IN CASE THEY HAVE TO TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL"
Then I take off the towel to assess the situation Joe immediatley tells me "DON'T LOOK AT IT - THEY SAID NOT TO LOOK AT IT'
Whatever - I looked still gushing......
The EMTs arrive about 10 minutes after Joe hung up - AND THEY WERE CCCUUUUTTTEEE!!! YAHOOOOO!!!!

There were 2 of them the REALLY cute one immediatley starts talking to Quentin and Adri the other one who was not as cute as the one talking to my kids, comes over to me, "what did you do?" I just laughed and said "Um I was scratching my ankle" By the time he took the towel off the bleeding had stopped - I have a vein (vericose - I think ) that appeared when I was pregnant with Adri that has not gone away apparently when I was scratching my ankle I punctured the vein which caused the gushing. The EMT said it happens sometimes - WTH?!?!
He offered me a band aide - and had me drink some juice as I was a little light headed from all the blood loss - I also had to sign a paper that stated they offered to take me to the hospital and I declined. Then told me that if it starts up again to give them a call and they would come back out if I couldn't get it to stop and off they went.

My mom shows up right after the EMTs leave and Joe tells her he is sorry for freaking out and having her come all the way across town - she just laughs. We watched a couple episodes of Cake Boss and then my mom went home - we went to the park for a picnic.

Never a dull moment at our house!!!

2 comments:

  1. I know you did this just so some cute EMTs could come to your house. LOL. I'm glad you are okay. Joe's reaction cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. Hopey, I am so glad you're OK.

    My heart was racing reading this. I could only imagine the panic Joe was feeling. At least he sort of entertained you while you gushed blood. ; )

    ReplyDelete